Your skin may have that ‘summer glow’ but what about your hair?
This hot, dry summer has been great for getting outside, lounging by the beach or pool and soaking up the sun. And while your skin may be glowing due to your (hopefully) responsible blend of proper sun safety and the extra vitamin D, your hair is likely not as radiant.
This is because the heat degrades your hair’s natural protective proteins, leaving locks dry and brittle, while humidity causes frizz, and chlorine further parches hair of much needed moisture. Luckily, there are easy, natural remedies for your summer hair woes.
1. Cool Down. Over the summer months your hair is exposed to more than its fair share of heat, don’t add to it by constantly blow drying, flat ironing, or using hot curling irons. Opt for heat-free methods when styling, or better yet, go au natural and embrace the hair you were born with.
2. Cover Up. If you are going to be outside for a long period of time wear a hat or scarf to protect your hair against UV and wind damage. Covering up your scalp will also help it retain much needed moisture as well as protect colour-treated hair.
3. Keep it Moist. We get not all situations are appropriate for hats and scarves to cover your hair. In those cases, we recommend mixing a small spritz bottle of water with a few drops of almond, castor or jojoba oil. Lightly spray onto your hair and massage into the scalp as needed to help protect against harmful UV rays and frizz while locking in moisture and maintaining a radiant sheen.
4. Wear it Back, but Loose. If your natural hair is anything like mine and a bit too wild to wear down, put it up in nice loose styles. Tight hairstyles can be damaging because they tend to pull and tear hair, especially if it is already dry. Loose styles, on the other hand, keep hair under control while minimizing exposure to the sun.
5. The Power of Rinsing. You may feel like your hair needs a good wash after a day at the pool or beach, but that can actually do more harm than good. It is recommended that hair is only washed 2-3 times per week, and in reality what you probably need is simply a good rinse. Letting fresh, clean water run over your hair will remove the chlorine, salt and sweat from the day without stripping your hair’s natural oils.
6. A Little Extra TLC. For those days that you do wash your hair, try adding a little Nature’s Aid all natural skin gel to your scalp to manage any dryness, seal in moisture, and improve the overall health and appearance of your hair. Simply massage a dime-sized amount into towel dried hair and you are done, no rinsing required!
7. Go Natural. Quality, natural hair care products won’t strip your hair of its natural oils, instead they will clean while working with your natural oils to stimulate, rejuvenate and hydrate your hair and scalp.
All Nature’s Aid products rely on the best nature has to offer, and all of our ingredients offer numerous benefits to your hair and scalp. Learn more about our growing line of natural skin and beauty products here!